Work for The Chamber!
Scroll down to see the current job postings with The Chamber, Lawrence.
Director of Communications
Role: This integral position effectively serves as the gatekeeper for the Chamber’s outgoing marketing and communications. It is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the integrity of the organizational message through the design and implementation of professional and effective communications across a variety of media. In addition, this position serves as a liaison to the membership in the promotion, coordination and development of Chamber marketing opportunities and as a first point of contact for all press inquiries.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Be the voice of The Chamber across all media and communications pieces.
- Serve as the main media contact for local news organizations and write and distribute all Chamber press releases.
- Utilize MailChimp to create a newsletter for Chamber members every other week, Chamber e-blasts, member e-blasts, and other e-mail marketing pieces.
- Work with members on paid marketing opportunities, including e-blasts, newsletter advertising, direct mail lists, etc.
- Maintain and update multiple websites using WordPress and serve as the liaison with external collaborators.
- Implement social media channels with specific strategies to engage members and the local community, while broadening organizational reach. Set goals and report social media metrics to the board and Communications Vice Chair.
- Provide creative planning, graphic design, writing, editing, and production (or coordination of external production) of any communications pieces that may be needed for events, membership, Leadership Lawrence, etc., including the Chamber’s strategic plan, legislative pieces, signage, invitations, etc.
- Provide communications support for all Chamber staff, including printed pieces, PowerPoint creation, event promotion, etc.
- Oversee the creation of the yearly printed membership directory, including page design, proofreading, and working with the publisher on a timeline and ad sales.
- Utilize with The Chamber’s CRM (ChamberMaster) to create event listings, pull reports for communications pieces, etc.
- Record minutes at meetings including Finance Committee, Officers Committee, and the Board of Directors.
- Create videos (shoot and/or edit) for the member video benefit, videos for events, and other miscellaneous videos that can be used on The Chamber’s website and social media channels.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Experience:
- Candidate must possess a minimum of three years’ experience. Previous strategic planning experience in marketing and communications strongly considered.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Business, Marketing, or related field.
- Interpersonal Skills: A significant level of trust and diplomacy is required. Must be able to communicate and relate well with the public, media, members, and with all levels of staff. Excellent verbal and written communication required.
- Requires the ability to think creatively and meet deadlines on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be a detailed self-starter.
- Flexibility is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, etc.) required.
- Willingness to complete additional duties and take on additional responsibility as the need arises.
- Working understanding of HTML, database management experience, email marketing, video editing, and social media channels highly preferred.
- Ability to lift 10-25 pounds on a regular basis.
- Clear vision.
- There is moderate noise and continual personal interaction in this working environment. Normal office environment.
- Minimal travel.
The Chamber of Lawrence, Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application review will begin on Friday, July 8, and continue until the position is filled.
718 New Hampshire St. Lawrence, KS 66044
Join the Chamber